Sunday, February 7, 2016

Spinal Double Stitch - A NEW Brazilian Dimensional Embroidery Adventure

I'm calling this a Spinal Double Stitch. And I'm explaining it in pictures.
In my previous post, I explained the process, but I used only one color:
Now I'll explain the stitch again with contrasting colors. I'm using Lola (EdMar Co. 100% rayon Z-twist floss).

Although I tried to call this a Ribbed Double Cast-on Stitch, I realized that it isn't a double cast-on at all - it just 'plays one on TV' - or looks like one.

It's actually a stitch with a spine. Yes. A Spinal Double Stitch will do until I think up something more clever (might never happen).
On a 5/8" fabric bite make a 15-wrap bullion.
With a contrasting color, make a 12-loop cast on stitch on one side.
Add a second 12-loop cast-on stitch on the other side.
 
Everyone should do the cast-on stitch in the way that is easiest for them. I learned to do all of my casting on with my left hand. When I want the cast-on loops to lie AWAY from the center, I'll tuck the floss behind the needle. You can turn your work for the second cast-on stitch, or you can leave the floss on the left side of the needle as you settle the loops in place.
In the photo above, I'm just getting ready to tuck the floss behind the needle and finish the right-side cast-on stitch.
 
I've mentioned before (this is just what works for me - and also saves a LOT of time and decreases kinks that pop up in our Z-twist rayon) -- after all loops or wraps are on the needle, hold that wrapped or looped needle and pull all of the floss on through the needle eye (this will lessen kinks) and then back it out to a short floss tail. Still holding the needle/stitch, settle everything in place.
 
Something else (I do tend to interrupt myself now and then...) that I learned is to work those bullions down tightly. However, for cast-on stitches, I like the loops to look nice, not all choked up and prune-faced, so I just cast-on to the needle, sometimes just the thickness of a fingernail. That way I can preserve the beautiful loops.
    OK, back to business . . .
Rethread your needle with the bullion color. You will whip stitch through the 'carrying cord' of the side cast-on stitches.
          Begin by bringing the needle up between cast-on loops (and under the center core thread). Next, slip your needle beneath the bullion and beneath the opposite-side (left in the photo) core thread (between loops).
         Whip-stitch down the bullion. Note, in the photo above, the thread twist. When you whip stitch in this manner, your floss will lie in the same direction all along the 'spine'.
Try to keep those horizontal stitches in a straight line. Your stitch will look nicer if you do. (Although, there isn't any reason you couldn't work a cross stitch - down and then up -- you could try anything). Remember, it's OK to play with your floss.
So you don't have to scroll up and down, here is a picture of the Spinal Double Stitch in two versions - one with a light bullion for the center core; one with a dark bullion for the center.
Yes, I have a flower that will be the beneficiary of this exciting new stitch. If you want to play with your floss, too, you might want to see what else you can think up. I love credit, credit is nice (all of our stitchers know the copyright stuff, so I won't wear out your eyeballs with excess reading), so if you just make a mention of where you saw this, I'll be forever happy.
 
Have fun!
Rosalie


 



 

6 comments:

  1. I think I have a use for this stitch right away. I will have to experiment when I go home next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear it inspired you, Margo. Can't wait to see what you think up. Have fun; post a picture if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esmuy bonito, pero no se entiende bien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias por compartir, hermoso.

    ReplyDelete